Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Happy Fourth Birthday Girls!

I can't believe you both are four years old. It does seem like only yesterday we were in the hospital. A lot of people say they can't remember what life was like before they had kids, but I remember very clearly every moment the few months before you both were born. The doctors appointments, the take out food, the hours of bad TV, and every detail of the three days I was in the hospital before the BIG day.
And then the actual day itself I don't remember anything much past 2pm. They had given me a sleeping pill the night before, but I barely slept. I got out of bed and tried to crawl up on the couch in the room with your dad around 5:30 am. I don't know how I didn't fall on the floor. One person can't even fit on those much less a 34 week pregnant woman.
We waited hours for them to tell us when it was time. Then when it was time, we had to wait 3 hours more before heading to the OR. Then you were born. All I saw of Lily was a tiny hand before they took her to the next room. Madeleine was taken to an exam table to my left where I could see her get cleaned up. They brought her to my cheek to give her a kiss, and then she too was out the door. It would be almost 24 hours before I would see you again.
It took forever to sit in recovery as the nurse filled out paperwork and my machines beeped. Then up in my room. All I wanted to do was sleep...

No comments: