Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I Can't Smile Without....

my girls.

Last week's other big activity was the school talent show.  They went last year and immediately started planning what they wanted to do.  Mostly it involved gymnastics/dance, but once I explained to them that it had to be a repeatable routine, they leaned more toward singing.

I was kind of hoping they'd forget about it.  We had 5 more years in elementary school to take on this challenge, and most kids appeared to be older anyway.

Fast forward to this year.  Notices about tryouts were sent home, and they came home all excited.  We talked about the best kind of act that they could do, how much they'd have to practice, and the tryout/rehearsal schedule requirements.  They assured me they were up to the challenge.

We picked Barry Manilow's I Can't Smile Without You.  With mostly a chorus, they knew all the words.  I would be able to buy an instrumental karaoke version for them to sing with.   Forty acts tried out, and only 18 were accepted, and the girls were thrilled to make the cut.

Rehearsal went well, and they couldn't wait to go shopping for outfits.  Lily picked these out at Old Navy.  What you can't see is that they're wearing their first heels.

They were the first act of the night and did great.  I think they had a hard time hearing the music (as they get ahead of themselves at the end), but as one of only two first grade acts, it was awesome.

They're already plotting next year.

No comments: