Wednesday, July 9, 2008

These boots are made for walking

Let's see. The story of the red boots.
I first saw them in Once Upon a Child probably 6 months ago or more. I was in there with my mother-in-law, and I discouraged her from buying them. Not really practical, and they were sufficiently large enough that I knew the girls would trip and fall.

The girls have been picking out their clothes now for a couple months. I try to give them options and steer them toward weather-appropriate items, but really that's the best I can do. They have become fashion conscious. Lily is pickier than Madeleine, but Maddie has always liked boots.

On Sunday, Lily did not want to go grocery shopping with us, so Madeleine and I went alone while Lily stayed home with Eric. I thought it might be nice to stop in the consignment store since I hadn't been in a while. I needed another pair of swim shoes for Lily anyway.

Madeleine saw the red boots and went straight for them. She picked them up and looked at me with those big blue eyes and said, "Can I have these?"

"They're a size seven."
"But I'm a size seven." (She is, but how she even knew this, I'm not sure.)
So, we paid $6.50 and bought the boots. She has worn them every day this week with an array of skirts and shorts. On day 3, Lily wanted to wear the boots. We let Madeleine wear them today, but she promised that Lily could try them on Friday.
This is way it is good to have matching items, even if you don't intentionally dress them matching.

Less fighting.

No comments: