Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"Fier" Withdrawl

In case you've missed it, Lily and Madeleine have been pacifier girls since day one. They like to sleep not just with one in the mouth, but one in each hand. I have been unable to break their little hearts and tear them away, mostly for my own sanity. Their nickname for them is pronounced FYE-ER.

I've tried to allow them only at bed times, but I've been getting slack lately. They had them in the car to and from school. They were having them Saturday and Sunday mornings. Then last week, Lily snuck one into day care and freaked out when I took it from her. They would have taken it from her anyway, but she just screamed bloody murder for quite a while.

So starting this past weekend, I've been asking them to put their pacifiers in a basket in their bedroom. They can't leave the bedroom until the pacifiers are in there. It worked well Saturday and Sunday, but it's been hard in the car on the way home from day care the last two days.

Lily gets in the car first and asks, "Did we bring fiers?"

As soon as I say no, she starts screaming, "Yes you did!" She doesn't quit.

Luckily I've had suckers the last two days.

Madeleine yelled yesterday, but not today. I just explained that we were big girls and left our fiers in the basket. Today she didn't even ask for the sucker.

I know pacifiers aren't the worst thing in the world. I had one until I was 4, and I've heard Eric had his pretty late. But I'm looking forward to not having to worry about keeping track of them all the time!

No comments: