Sunday, September 13, 2009

Camptown ladies sing this song...

This weekend the girls had their first "camping" trip. Uncle Mark and Aunt Laura had a large tent and an outdoor fire thing, so I volunteered them to host our first night in the outdoors.

We brought over our jeep that we got for Christmas since their yard is nice, flat, and fenced in. The girls are getting a little better at steering, but you still need to kind of follow them since they don't often turn until the last minute, if at all, before crashing into something.


We had hot dogs and squash from the grill for dinner. Then we roasted marshmallows and made smores. The girls each ate one, but I don't think they were super impressed. They just wanted more of the Hershey bars.

Once in our jammies, we sacked out in the tent. Aunt Laura was awesome and had gotten some camping-themed books for bedtime stories. We read them by flashlight.


Then the longest night began. Usually asleep by 8:30, the girls probably didn't go to sleep until 10:45. They did their usual procrastination routine (I have to go potty, I have an itch, etc.). It took forever to get them settled down. We were on air mattresses - Laura and Lily, and Madeleine and me. I think Lily would have fallen asleep sooner if not for Maddie.
I probably woke up 5 or 6 times with Madeleine trying to get on top of me, or headbutting me, or just doing the jitterbug or whatever it was. Finally around 4am I flipped positions with her so that she was more downhill and maybe would stop rolling into me. Laura said Lily hopped around in her sleep like a bunny.
But somehow the girls slept fine and were up by 6:45am. We tried to convince them it wasn't wake up time, but no luck. Laura fixed us a great breakfast, and I tried to get the girls out of there asap so she could get some shut eye!
Overall, a success. They weren't scared, didn't cry, and never asked to go back inside.



No comments: